CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2500HD and 3500HD
New for 2013
- Bi-fuel compressed natural gas fuel system and 6.0L V-8 bi-fuel engine available on 2500HD extended cab
- Duramax 6.6L V-8 turbo-diesel with 397 hp (296 kW) and 765 lb.-ft. (1,037 Nm) of torque now available on 3500HD Chassis Cabs and pickup box-delete Silverados
- Exterior colors: Deep Ruby Metallic and Blue Topaz Metallic
As it enters its third year, Silverado HD remains the benchmark for heavy-duty pickups, winning magazine comparisons and strengthening Chevrolet’s reputation for building dependable, hard-working trucks.
There are 10 2500HD models and eight single- and dual-rear-wheel 3500HD models, including regular cab, extended cab and crew cab body styles. Their capabilities include:
- 2500HD maximum payload of 4,212 pounds (1,910 kg) with the available Performance Package on regular cab long box models (2WD)
- 2500HD conventional towing capacity of 13,000 pounds (5897 kg)
- 2500HD fifth-wheel towing capacity of 17,800 pounds (8,074 kg)
- Best-in-class 3500HD maximum payload of 7,222 pounds (3,276 kg)
- Best-in-class 3500HD conventional towing capacity of 18,000 pounds (8,164 kg)
- Best-in-class 3500HD fifth-wheel towing capacity of 23,100 pounds (10,478 kg).
The HD trucks are offered in WT, LT and LTZ models, in 2WD and 4WD. Highlights of the lineup include:
- Fully-boxed, high-strength-steel frames
- Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel rated at 397 hp (296 kW) and B20 biodiesel capability
- Standard 36-gallon (136 L) fuel tank and engine efficiency enable up to 680 miles (1,090 km) between fill-ups with the Duramax turbo-diesel
- Smart exhaust brake feature that provides greater control on grades and reduced brake pad wear
- An array of control features, including trailer sway control, integrated trailer brake control, hill start assist, automatic grade braking, intelligent brake assist and larger brakes.
New for 2013 is a pair of exterior colors – Deep Ruby Metallic and Blue Topaz Metallic – and a bi-fuel compressed natural gas fuel system and bi-fuel-compatible version of the 6.0L V-8 engine. It features hardened valves and valves seats that enable to run on gasoline or compressed natural gas. The bi-fuel package is available on 2500HD extended cab models.
The 397-horsepower (296 kW) Duramax turbo-diesel is now available on 3500HD Chassis Cabs and box delete Silverados. Previously, these configurations were available with the 335-hp version of the Duramax.
Also new is powertrain grade braking in the normal transmission mode for the 6.0L engine – it was previously incorporated only when the Tow/Haul mode was activated. It uses engine torque to help slow the vehicle on descents, which helps reduce brake wear.
Chevy’s HD trucks are comfortable and connected, with technology features including available mobile WiFi, USB connectivity, Bluetooth phone connectivity, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, OnStar 9.0 and navigation. There’s also a navigation radio with CD, USB port and an 80-GB hard drive (30 GB available for music), along with heated and cooled front seats available on LTZ models.
Silverado HD exterior features
Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD models are distinguished by a power dome-style hood with a louvered design, as well as a wide grille with chrome surround and full-width chrome steel front bumper. A lineup of 17- (Dually), 18- and 20-inch wheel/tire combinations are offered.
Standard and available exterior features also include:
· Heated outside mirrors are offered on all models; heated outside and power-adjustable vertical camper-style mirrors with turn signal indicators are available on 2500HD LT and LTZ and standard on 3500HD LT and LTZ models
· Front recovery hooks are standard on all models
· EZ-Lift locking tailgate feature are available on all models
· Dual cargo lamps are standard on all models
· Seventeen-inch steel wheels are standard on 2500HD Work Truck and all 3500HD SRW models
· Seventeen-inch chrome-clad steel wheels are available on 2500HD Work Truck
· Seventeen-inch machine-finish aluminum wheels are standard on 2500HD LT
· Seventeen-inch forged polished aluminum wheels are standard on 3500HD LTZ with dual rear wheels and available on LT with dual rear wheels
· Eighteen-inch painted steel wheels are available on 2500HD Work Truck and standard on 3500HD Work Truck with SRW with the 6.0L engine (available with Duramax diesel)
· Eighteen-inch forged polished aluminum wheels are standard on 2500HD LT and LTZ models and on 3500HD SRW LT and LTZ models
· Twenty-inch forged polished aluminum wheels are available on 2500HD LT and LTZ
· Exterior colors: Deep Ruby Metallic, Blue Topaz Metallic, Black, Blue Granite Metallic, Summit White, Victory Red, Silver Ice Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic and Graystone Metallic.
The Z71 appearance package is available on extended cab and crew cab models when equipped with the Z71 off-road suspension. Content includes 18-inch forged polished aluminum wheels (20-inch wheels available on 2500HD LTZ), all-terrain tires, front fog lamps, body-color outside mirrors and door handles, body-color bumper, chrome grille with body-color surround and a unique Z71 pickup box decal.
Silverado HD interior standard and available features
Silverado HD models are designed to be comfortable and convenient while on the job or on the road, with features that include 170-degree-opening rear access doors on extended cab models and numerous storage compartments that provide covered access for everything from work gloves to laptops.
For those who work out of their truck, or use it for vacations with the family, Silverado HDs offer mobile WiFi, USB connectivity, Bluetooth phone connectivity, SiriusXM Satellite Radio and a navigation system. Multiple charge points enable multiple electronic devices to operate simultaneously.
Cold-weather customers warm up more quickly with the Duramax 6.6L engine, which has a starting time on par with gas engines. Its glow plug cycle time takes no more than 3 seconds in temperatures as low as -20 F (-29 C).
Highlights of all models’ standard and available interior features include:
· Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on LTZ and available on LT; single-zone manual air conditioning is standard on WT
· Navigation radio with AM/FM stereo, MP3-compatible CD/DVD player and USB port is available on LTZ models
· SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on LT and LTZ models and available on WT
· Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity is standard on LTZ models and available on WT and LT
· Power-adjustable pedals are available on LT and LTZ models.
· Two auxiliary 12-volt power outlets are standard on all models and mounted on the instrument panel
· Remote vehicle starter system is standard on LTZ and available on LT models
· Leather-trimmed front seats are standard on LTZ and available on LT models
· Front 40/20/40-split front bench seat is standard on WT models and LT models
· Front bucket seats with 10-way power driver and passenger seat adjusters are standard on LTZ models. Front bucket seats with six-way power adjusters are available on LT models
· Leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on LT and LTZ models and available on WT
· Power-operated sunroof is available on LTZ crew cab models
· Power-operated rear sliding window is available on LT and LTZ models.
Interior color/trim combinations include Ebony, Dark Cashmere/Light Cashmere, Dark Titanium/Light Titanium and Dark Titanium
Silverado HD powertrains
A Vortec 6.0L gas V-8 with variable valve timing is matched with the Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission as the standard powertrain across the Silverado HD model range. This combination delivers excellent performance and efficiency, with an emphasis on low-rpm performance. It is rated at 360 horsepower (268 kW) and 380 lb.-ft. of torque (515 Nm).
New for 2013 is a bi-fuel version of the 6.0L engine – known by its LC8 engine code – which features special hardened valves and valve seats that enable it to run on compressed natural gas (CNG) or gasoline.
The Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel and Allison 1000 six-speed automatic transmission powertrain combination is available on all 2500HD and 3500HD models. Highlights of the Duramax diesel include:
- 397 horsepower (296 kW) at 3,000 rpm
- 765 lb.-ft. of torque (1,037 Nm) at 1,600 rpm
- High-pressure (30,000 psi/2,000 bar) Piezo-actuated fuel system for greater fuel efficiency, improved performance and reduced emissions
- Exhaust brake system that enables controlled vehicle slowdown on downhill grades without actuating the brakes
- Selective catalytic reduction after-treatment system using diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection to provide the best overall diesel characteristics and performance – with a range of about 5,000 miles (8,000 km) between DEF refills
- Combustion and after-treatment have been optimized to provide about 700 miles (1,125 km) between diesel particulate filter regenerations – a 75-percent improvement over the previous system and significant contributor to improved fuel efficiency, as the regeneration process requires additional fuel
- B20 biodiesel capability for an alternative fueling option.
The Allison 1000 features driver shift control with tap up/tap down shifting and a patented elevated idle mode cab warm-up feature. Also, the Tow/Haul mode reduces shift cycling for better control and improved cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads.
Silverado HD chassis and suspension
All Silverado HD models feature fully boxed frame assemblies – 18 different assemblies that accommodate all of the range’s configurations. The front sections are hydroformed.
Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- Front gross axle weight rating up to 5,600 pounds (2,540 kg), enabling a snow plow to be used on all 4WD cab configurations with the available snow plow prep package
- Short-long arm/torsion bar front suspension features forged steel upper control arms and precision-machined cast iron lower control arms
- Four different torsion bar rates support four different front gross axle weight ratings to help stabilize the range of trim heights of various models under load, while enhancing appearance, handling, durability, tire wear and alignment. The trim height is adjusted on each bar via a single bolt, easily allowing the height to be changed to account for the weight of a snow plow or other accessories
- An upper shock mount attachment design that’s positively connected to the frame with two fasteners, eliminating squeaks and clunks, while supporting higher load capability and increased durability
- Asymmetrical leaf-spring design that minimizes axle hop and enhances traction control efficiency
- Two-stage leaf-spring design on 2500HD models and three-stage design on 3500HD model. All models feature 3-inch-wide (76 mm) leaf springs
- Z71 Off Road suspension is available on LT and LTZ models and includes 35mm deflective disk twin-tube shock absorbers, off-road jounce bumpers, 33mm front stabilizer bar and a skid plate package
- Four-wheel disc brakes with hydroboost are standard on all models
- Four-wheel, four-channel ABS is standard on all single-rear-wheel models and a three-channel system is standard on dual-rear-wheel models
- The frame-mounted hitch for conventional trailering has a box-tube design and supports up to 18,000 pounds (8,164 kg).
Silverado HD safety and crash-avoidance features
Silverado has a strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants. Head curtain side air bags with rollover protection and seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger are available. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment, while the seat-mounted air bags provide thorax and pelvic protection.
Additional safety features include:
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on all single-rear-wheel models
- Large, four-wheel disc brakes with four-wheel ABS are standard on all models
- High-strength steel tubular frame cross member that enhances safety and improves crashworthiness
- Available rear vision camera
- Trailer sway control system on all single-rear-wheel models
- Hill start assist is standard on single-rear-wheel models.
The trailer sway control system provides an added measure of confidence when towing a trailer. The system senses conditions of trailer sway and intervenes with braking and/or reduced engine power to bring the trailer under control and keep it on its intended path. The system will use electric trailer brakes when a trailer is plugged into the standard wiring harness of the truck and its performance requires no input from the driver.
The hill start assist system is automatically engaged when sensors detect the vehicle is on grade of about 5 percent or greater. It holds the brakes for about 1.5 seconds or until the gas pedal is pressed, preventing rollback – it is particularly effective when towing, giving the driver time to switch from the brake pedal to the gas pedal without rolling.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Silverado HD models. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Silverado HD also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.